Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My $500 Lesson


My $500 Lesson
Have you ever tried a “Work From Home Job”? Without much success? Yeah? Me too. I have had my own experience with a work from home “opportunity” and......let’s just say, it did not go so well.
Quite a while ago I had an opportunity to make a little money working from home making phone calls. Not the most exciting line of work but I needed some money and I figured I could make my own hours and be at home. Not too shabby. I just needed to purchase a little mechanism that attaches to my computer so I could make long distance calls at no cost ($46 - which I paid for....Red Flag). I was to be paid a decent amount of money, BUT, the catch was I would not be able to be paid until after I worked a month. This was a start up company and we needed to generate an inflow of money with our phone calls before we could get paid.
Red Flag Red Flag Red Flag Red Flag Red Flag!!!! Well, I should have listened to my gut. It was screaming. But when you need money, you need money.  This job seemed so convenient, too convenient.  Another Red Flag! Ugh....I hate when I don’t listen to that nagging gut.
I went ahead and did my part, working as I said I would.  I created my own little schedule and took my job seriously. I did get a check for $125 after a month of work (part time) and I was told the $500 still owed to me would be paid. Well, it never came. After months of emails back and forth I even tried to make a payment plan for the gentleman, (not the right word to describe him), so he could pay me monthly if need be. He said he would. Never happened. 
I take people at their word. I am honest and I believe others to be too. I still do, even after this experience. But I learned a few lessons. I am wiser now and I trust my gut. But sadly, not everyone is as honest as they should be. 
Why do I share this story? Because I know I am not the only one who has had an experience like this. Also because I did finally find a home based business that is all that that other business was not. Profitable, fun, and creative. 
There are several things you should do when looking for a great stay at home/home based business. 
  • Do your homework.
  • Check out the person who is selling to you/wants you to work for them.
  • Ask for referrals.
  • Most importantly Trust Your GUT! It is always right. If something does not feel right, don’t do it.
There will always be people who scam others. Just be aware and wise. You have the most important piece of the puzzle inside of you when needing to make decisions like this. Trust that little voice inside you that helps you make decisions. BUT, if you are like me, and you have, at times, not listened to that little voice, well, you have a good lesson learned. :)
Feel free to share a story you have had. It feels good to vent sometimes.
~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment