Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The world is a beautiful place....are you contributing?

What are you doing today to make the world a better place? Are you snuggling your baby a bit longer than normal? Are you sitting down with your 3 year old to play cars (and leaving your phone across the room) ;) ? Have you smiled at a stranger? Picking up a piece of trash up off the ground "just because"? Forgiving yourself for that something that looms over your head? Forgiving someone in your life that you need to forgive? Singing a song loud and proud as you drive down the street, just to be enjoying the moment and releasing positive energy into the universe?




I find that when I think about the question "how am I making this world a better place?" ..... I often think I have to do something BIG....like move mountains. :) You know what I mean, right? I think I am starting to realize at the ripe old age of 42 that to make the world a better place starts with the little things.  Now, some of what I mentioned above is not necessarily small.....like forgiving yourself or another person....those can be huge things. If you are not ready for the big stuff....start small.

How about dropping little pieces of kindness behind you instead of bread crumbs, like Hansel and Gretel, the world will instantly be a better place if we all do this. Take the few extra seconds to open a door for someone or take a deep breath and not get mad at your loved one, make eye contact with the checker at the grocery store and really ask how he/she is doing. I think sometimes we get so busy with just trying to get through the day that we do not stop to enjoy the little interactions we can have with our fellow human beings.

I am trying to slow down and just be. I am trying to not think of my weeks and months as time to check off and just get to the weekend or to a big trip. If we are not enjoying our days, we need to change something. So, if sprinkling around kindness helps you enjoy your days, just start. Start small and work your way up to the big things.

To quote a distant Kentuckian cousin of mine....."themens" (those are) my thoughts.

Now.....go and enjoy this beautiful day and so something to make this world a more beautiful place. :)

Much love,

~Amy





No comments:

Post a Comment