Monday, October 3, 2011

Ithaka

I love this poem and wanted to share with you fellow travelers along life's journey. (A little background) Ithaka was the beloved island home of the Greek hero, Odysseus. After the Trojan War Odysseus left home and traveled the world for 10 years having many life lessons that forever changed him.......adventures, challenges, encounters. Longing to find Ithaka......

As you set out in search of Ithaka
Pray that your journey be long,
full of adventures, full of awakenings.
Do not fear the monsters of old....
You will not meet them in your travels
if your thoughts are exalted and remain high,
if  authentic passions stir your mind, body and spirit.
You will not encounter fearful monsters
if you do not carry them within your soul,
if your soul does not set them up in front of you.
~Constantine Peter Cavary

When I started my business, Tiny Touches, I was so scared of all the things that could go wrong. What if I wasn't any good and no one wanted my services. What if I couldn't figure out how to actually run a business? What if when I approached people about advertising they all said no? What if I mess up on an order? What if what if what if??? The list was long. I started to get really scared and doubt myself. But for some reason I kept marching on. I knew when I started this business it was the right time in my life. I knew it was something I needed to be doing. I knew that even though I had never run a business before that I would just figure it out. I decided to jump in and see what would happen. Now that does not mean that over the past 11 years I have never had doubt creep into my thoughts about how I am doing as a business owner, but I try to quickly push those thoughts out of my head. I just keep thinking, I love what I do and I hope that comes across to my customers. I choose to not see any monsters on this journey. I would have missed out on some amazing experiences if I choose to be too afraid.

I hope whatever monsters linger in your mind, ready to scare you out of something that you want to do, be it, weight loss, friendship, education, business, travel, etc., I hope you push those monsters away. Even if it is something you have to do everyday. I continually have to let the good thoughts overcome the bad thoughts. I choose to let the monsters go scare someone else. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment