Monday, August 8, 2011

A good lesson and kinda funny too.

It is a funny thing owning your own business or maybe it is true with whatever you do for a living, but along the lines of learning a thing or two over the years, this one, makes me laugh.......now.  DON'T TAKE YOURSELF TOO SERIOUSLY!!!  I have loved my little hand and foot impressions business. I have put my heart and soul into running a good company, being kind to my customers, taking pride in my work and trying very hard to keep all that I do organized and put together. AND at times....I guess I have taken myself too seriously. I am glad that I can now laugh at this story. :)

 One day, after I had been in business for about a year or so, I was at a boutique displaying my "darlingwonderfulperfectbeautiful" "everyonewantsone" impressions. Or so I thought. I had created a cute table with all my sample impressions arranged just so. I was so proud of my set up. As it goes, customers (or should I say potential customers) come up to my table and look at what I have to offer, ask questions and if all goes right I make impressions of their little ones. Well, this one day, a lady approached my table and picks up one of the little foot ornaments I have displayed. She holds it out for me to look at and she asks "what is this for?" I smile and say it is a cute little ceramic foot impression, a keepsake. It can be used as a Christmas tree ornament, a gift for a grandparent or a cute memento for you to hand on a peg and remember your little one forever. I was just trying to help her see the many many many ways to use and appreciate this little foot. :)  She looks at me and says with a stone cold face "why on earth would anyone want something like this?" I was totally speechless. I just looked at her and thought she was going to start laughing and say "just kidding". She didn't. She just kept starting at me. Me...speechless, not sure what to say.  It NEVER dawned on me that there would be someone that would not think this is the cutest thing ever. Once I gathered my thoughts together and tried not to look completely deflated, I told her that many people like to have one made to capture a little moment in time of their little one. I shared how fleeting time is and babies only stay little for a little bit of time. Whatever I said wasn't working. She just placed the little sample down on the table, hmmmffft, and walked away. There I sat. Not really believing what had just happened.

From then on I realized that even though I take great pride in creating my impressions and I know many people love and cherish the little impressions they receive, it is not for everyone. Ahhhh, it is good to learn lessons. I learn more and more everyday and I am thankful for weird, quirky, and funny stories that keep me grounded in my impressions.


No comments:

Post a Comment